With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Pre SG 1.0 archive

Torches and Animated flames

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:19 am

The standalone is replacing the animated fire textures that Lethal came up with for some reason. The first screenie is from the SA. Second shot is from the q3 mod version. Lethal's is softer and isn't as "cartoony" looking imo. Easier to see in game than in these pics. Just wondering why the SA is overriding the textures here.

ImageImage
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:58 pm

Hmmm, I have to say, right now, I can't tell which one I saw ;-) ... I took 2 screenshots (only from the SA), too but they are not really helpful, I guess :? ...

ImageImage

All right. Since in-game I seemed to be too confusing, here is what I think it's going on:

Red, I _beleive_ (I still have to double check, and I that's why I also want the lists of pk3's) that your map referes to textures and/or shaders that reside in another pk3. Currently I suspect backwater. This is more than anything else just an accident, but since you guys are all using l3th4ls flame, it is somewhat likely. And depending on what other pk3's you have, you'll either see a substitute texture/shader (like Red) or nothing at all (like Caffeine).

So, here is the request: list all pk3's in both westernq3 and baseq3. Give at least sizes (@Windows users, a screenshot of the folders with "View->Details" is fine), if you can do md5's that would be great !
Real coll would be if you could capture the output of the console and post the following part when you connect to the test server :

Code: Select all
----- FS_Startup -----
pak0 has checksum 554035716
Detected pak0 - pretending it to be the retail version.
backwater has checksum 1293597957
br_coyotebluff has checksum 2128736853
br_haunted has checksum 1075699580
lake has checksum 837319298
wq3_maps0 has checksum 1536923698
wq3_maps1 has checksum 3849958775
wq3_pak0 has checksum 1624030397
wq3_pak1 has checksum 1942163816
wq3_pak2 has checksum 3525732908
wq3_pak3 has checksum 1889149697
wq3_pak4 has checksum 164057269
wq3_sounds0 has checksum 3278800843
wq3_textures0 has checksum 1279901149
wq_coyotebluff has checksum 1776014572
wq_HighNoon2 has checksum 3275857175
wq_town has checksum 3996463325
wq_train has checksum 3334344701
Current search path:
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq_train.pk3 (30 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq_town.pk3 (8 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq_HighNoon2.pk3 (25 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq_coyotebluff.pk3 (90 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_textures0.pk3 (628 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_sounds0.pk3 (30 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_pak3.pk3 (9 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_pak2.pk3 (14 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_pak1.pk3 (2 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_pak0.pk3 (934 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_maps1.pk3 (8 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_maps0.pk3 (80 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/lake.pk3 (105 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/br_haunted.pk3 (24 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/br_coyotebluff.pk3 (32 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/backwater.pk3 (116 files)
    on the pure list
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/baseq3/pak0.pk3 (102 files)
    on the pure list
/home/logic/andy/.wq3/westernq3
/usr/local/games/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_pak4.pk3 (9 files)
    not on the pure list

For Linux/FreeBSD : start in a xterm or the like with a large scrollbar buffer, start the game from there, briefly connect and disconnect and scroll up until you find a similar output (you probably all know that, but just in case ;-) ...)

P.S.: I changed the topic title a bit, so that we can include the missing textrue problem of the non-lit torches, which I beleive is very closely related.

P.P.S.: Right now , the sun shines right onto my monitor, so the detailed picture analysis will have to wait for a couple of hours ;-) ...
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:06 pm

Hika has access here now. I deleted Hika's post & altered sig11's in this thread. I think the cat is already out of the bag due to chat on the test server but I'd prefer if we don't mention the standalone testing in other sections of the forum for now. :wink: I'll get to making screenshots right now and post my findings soon.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:25 pm

Uh....what's an md5?

And here is my console log.
I forgot to mention in the first post that before I took those screenshots I removed backwater, lake & highnoon2 from the directory. (But I forgot to do that for the mod screenshot.) I'm not so sure this has anything to do with CB being linked to other maps. Afaik, it isn't linked in any way that I can think of. But I'm all ears.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:51 pm

Wouldn't matter if it was linked. I only used those in outlaw run. Lake does not have those torches or flame..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby hika » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:12 pm

After a long WQ3 standalone installation (Linux emulation with FreeBSD ...), I tried many pk3 moving stuff, in order to find missing torches.

Here are some screenshots for those who do not see them, yet.
From the left, these are screenshots from WQ3 mod, and the right are from WQ3 standalone :
ImageImage

ImageImage

Actually, it is not a WQ3 standalone issue.
To reproduce this, I just moved backwater.pk3 out of the pk3 folders.
Moreover, I have only seen missings torches in coyotebluff DM mode.
Hope this helps !
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:41 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Uh....what's an md5?

MD5 is a secure hashing function that converts an arbitrarily long data stream into a digest of fixed size. Commonly used to check the integrity of files.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby sig11 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:22 pm

Thanks everyone !

Some findings by myself, combined with what you guys posted here:

1. The unlit torches in wq_coyotebluff (wait, there are also some unlit ones in br !?) use
textures/sockter/wood1burnt
textures/sockter/wood1topout
which are in backwater.pk3
So, Caffeine, if you are reading this little piece inside this long thread ;-) ... can you double check if you have backwater from this forum ?
Red, I don't really think this is bad, since all maps are intended to go into 2.2 anyways, right ? OTOH, it sort of would make sense if textures, sounds, maps and other stuff would be divided up similarly as ICI did it (but not even they seemed to be _that_ strict if I look at their contents). Of course this bears a lot of pitfalls for a lot of breakage ... like forgetting textures etc. ... :?
2.) The flaming torch does _not_ use the above mentioned textures from backwater, hence you have to be careful at which torches in which mode you look ;-). The flame itself uses
textures/wq_coyotebluff/sfx/wq3fire_12.jpg
textures/wq_coyotebluff/sfx/wq3fire_13.jpg
textures/wq_coyotebluff/sfx/wq3fire_14.jpg
textures/wq_coyotebluff/sfx/wq3fire_15.jpg
textures/wq_coyotebluff/sfx/wq3fire_16.jpg
textures/wq_coyotebluff/sfx/wq3fire_17.jpg
textures/wq_coyotebluff/sfx/wq3fire_18.jpg
textures/wq_coyotebluff/sfx/wq3fire_19.jpg
which are in wq_coyotebluff and they produce what I saw (in my screenshot). Upon closer inspection, they look like your left image. (I removed these jpgs from wq_coyotebluff.pk3 and the flame was replaced by a "holodeck" shader).
Red, one question and one request: are you sure that you simply don't have an update to l3th4ls flame in all those other pk3's you have in your folders ? And, could you connect with ID's quake version to the test server and double check, that online, you get your favourite flame ? The latter will essentially show if you have another flames "hidden" somewhere, cause the pureness will "kick out" your updated flames and fall back to what's inside wq_coyotebluff.pk3

Ah, and sorry about not keeping the standalone forum secret. I did not know (or forgot) that it was supposed to be kept rather hidden. Actually, if I still would have been stuck, I would have tried to compare to hika's "normal" setup as comparison. I.e. I would not even have asked you to install the Linux standalone version in emulation ;-) ... but thanks a lot, hika, for all the pk3 juggling !

Finally, something rather unrelated: it is interesting to see that the windows standalone version also looks through the Quake III Arena folder. Maybe I should stop the engine from doing that. ... hmmm .... otoh, you usually only have one anyways ... BTW, this may be a stupid question: How do you get the console log in Windows ?

Ah, and the MD5's would have been used to check if everybody has the correct version. Usually the sizes give away if somebody has an old version, but in some odd circumstances they could be the same size, but then the MD5 sum would be different. It's one sort of a checksum essentially - and the technical answer is given by l3th4l ;-)
sig11
SG Team

Postby Caffeine » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:54 pm

sig11 wrote:So, Caffeine, if you are reading this little piece inside this long thread ;-) ... can you double check if you have backwater from this forum ?

Yep, I have it -- but I didn't symlink it in the SA folder. Did that and now the unlit torches are showing up.
Caffeine
Pistolero

Postby hika » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:04 pm

sig11 wrote:1. The unlit torches in wq_coyotebluff (wait, there are also some unlit ones in br !?)

I recheck coyotebluff in BR mode, without backwater.pk3 in my pk3 folders, and I do not see unlit torches, by the way, not textured torches.

sig11 wrote:Finally, something rather unrelated: it is interesting to see that the windows standalone version also looks through the Quake III Arena folder.

It also happened in my FreeBSD's Linux emulation box.
Here is my console output (thanks to the dup()ed stdout redirected to a file ;))
Code: Select all
wqQ3 1.33w03 linux-i386 Jun 30 2006
----- FS_Startup -----
pak0 has checksum 554035716
Detected pak0 - pretending it to be the retail version.
backwater has checksum 1293597957
br_coyotebluff has checksum 2128736853
br_haunted has checksum 1075699580
lake has checksum 837319298
wq_coyotebluff has checksum 1776014572
wq_HighNoon2 has checksum 3275857175
wq3_maps0 has checksum 1536923698
wq3_maps1 has checksum 3849958775
wq3_pak0 has checksum 1624030397
wq3_pak1 has checksum 1942163816
wq3_pak2 has checksum 3525732908
wq3_pak3 has checksum 1889149697
wq3_sounds0 has checksum 3278800843
wq3_textures0 has checksum 1279901149
wq_NightFort has checksum 1795779001
wq_town has checksum 3996463325
wq_train has checksum 3334344701
Current search path:
/home/hikaru/.wq3/westernq3
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq_train.pk3 (30 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq_town.pk3 (8 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq_NightFort.pk3 (10 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_textures0.pk3 (628 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_sounds0.pk3 (30 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_pak3.pk3 (9 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_pak2.pk3 (14 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_pak1.pk3 (2 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_pak0.pk3 (934 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_maps1.pk3 (8 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3/wq3_maps0.pk3 (80 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/westernq3
/home/hikaru/.q3a/westernq3/wq_HighNoon2.pk3 (25 files)
/home/hikaru/.q3a/westernq3/wq_coyotebluff.pk3 (90 files)
/home/hikaru/.q3a/westernq3/lake.pk3 (105 files)
/home/hikaru/.q3a/westernq3/br_haunted.pk3 (24 files)
/home/hikaru/.q3a/westernq3/br_coyotebluff.pk3 (32 files)
/home/hikaru/.q3a/westernq3/backwater.pk3 (116 files)
/home/hikaru/.q3a/westernq3
/home/hikaru/.wq3/baseq3
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/baseq3/pak0.pk3 (102 files)
/home/hikaru/Westernquake3/baseq3

----------------------
2247 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
Unknown command ""
execing q3config.cfg
Unknown command ""
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok

[...]

In some way, it is convenient as my ~/.q3a/westernq3 folder is shared between my SA version and my MOD version.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:17 pm

Ok, I'll have to come back and give a more thorough reply when I have time. But for now:

Windows: Type logfile 1 into the conslole and hit enter. This leaves a text file in your wq3 folder.

enable console logging: 0=no log, 1=buffered, 2=continuous, 3=append so as not to overwrite old logs
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:00 am

Caffeine wrote:Yep, I have it -- but I didn't symlink it in the SA folder. Did that and now the unlit torches are showing up.

Cool 8) ... we fixed that one !

hika wrote:I recheck coyotebluff in BR mode, without backwater.pk3 in my pk3 folders, and I do not see unlit torches, by the way, not textured torches

Yeah, you're right I think. I think it's the other way round. lit and unlit torches are in wq (for sure) and in br_ are only lit ones (I think). But not that important, just to make sure to be aware of the possibility ;-)

hika wrote:It also happened in my FreeBSD's Linux emulation box.

In some way, it is convenient as my ~/.q3a/westernq3 folder is shared between my SA version and my MOD version.

That behaviour again is intentional ... and you even gave the reason ;-) ... sort of. I was mostly thinking of the SA automatically finding the Q3A config and the key (if you have one, it can use it). The Windows path setup is, unfortunately, a bit different, yet it shares quite a bit of code ... so in the end, I'll probably just leave it.

@Red: thanks for the tip with the logfile - occasioanlly I need that on my windows test system.
sig11
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:19 pm

(I removed these jpgs from wq_coyotebluff.pk3 and the flame was replaced by a "holodeck" shader).

As it should. :wink:

The missing torches (not the fire) are due to a mistake in my shader file. If you have the BW map installed I think it grabs the textures from there. Otherwise you get the holodeck texture. So I know how to fix that now.

The animated flame though, I just can't seem to comprehend what's happening there but it must be my installation? I'll try to run a few tests here at work since I only have wq3 installed once via the SA.

Lake does not have those torches or flame..

There is flame in the fireplace but I noticed there is no info in Lake's shader for it.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:00 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:

There is flame in the fireplace but I noticed there is no info in Lake's shader for it.

Yeh, that is because it is the id flame :D It will be replaced though..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby sig11 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:18 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:
The missing torches (not the fire) are due to a mistake in my shader file. If you have the BW map installed I think it grabs the textures from there. Otherwise you get the holodeck texture. So I know how to fix that now.

As I tried to indicate, if both BW and CB are released in the same release, it should not matter ... but then again ...

The animated flame though, I just can't seem to comprehend what's happening there but it must be my installation? I'll try to run a few tests here at work since I only have wq3 installed once via the SA.

Looking at your console log, I see that wq_coyotebluff in D:\Program Files\Westernquake3 and in D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena are different (one has 89 files the other 90). So, double check which one has the right flame.

Also, if I'm not completely mistaken, the game takes the first match when looking through the search path. That means, if the the flames are identical in both wq_couyotebluff pk3's then your favourite flame should be in the ones coming first in the search path when playing mod+ID. In your case it would be one of:
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_train2.pk3 (3 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_train.pk3 (30 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_town.pk3 (8 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_test2.pk3 (11 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_test.pk3 (9 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_steamboat_l3th4l.pk3 (12 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_steamboat018.pk3 (11 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_oldranch.pk3 (5 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_NoNameCity.pk3 (46 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_NightFort.pk3 (10 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_mirror.pk3 (9 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_HighNoon2.pk3 (25 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_haunted_mine.pk3 (66 files)
D:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\westernq3\wq_ed.pk3 (8 files)

Note, that when playing SA, the search strategy finds wq_coyotebluff much earlier and only wq_train.pk3 wq_town.pk3 and wq_HighNoon2.pk3 are before wq_coyotebluff when starting from D:\Program Files\Westernquake3

hmmm ... looking at the candidates, NightFort somehow sticks out. I will have to double check when I come home - the others of course, are all your private ones ;-) ...

Also, later on in the search path, I see outlawrun - I can't imagine how the search strategy can find flames in there, but OTOH, it _may_ contain flames done by l3th4l after all ;-)

As l3th4l wrote, this is soemthing different ;-)
sig11
SG Team

Next

Return to Stand-alone Testing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel