With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

making Linux Q3 Arena play on windows

Postby steel » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:36 am

Hi guys - The Q3 Arena I bought off of ebay arrived today, nice shiny silver metal case, has Q3 Arena and Team Arena inside, books, everything, and all looked pristine. :)

Only one problem - it is the Linux version :x But there was also a sticker inside the box saying that to make it run on Windows, download the latest point release, then copy the Linux pak0.pk3 into the baseq3 folder.

I was skeptical, but voila, it sure worked!!

Okay, so I now also have installed the wq3 mod and all the maps I could find and download from these forums. I've been playing in single player and etc, really fun, real nice. Great work!!

But no servers show up in the game browser. :|

I've been entering them from the console, but nobody's in 'em.

Hopefully I can catch up with some of you guys soon for some good fun.

Again, really nice work!!!! :D I'm totally impressed at this level of fun, music, and graphics. Hard to believe it's a mod.

steel
steel
Drifter

Re: making Linux Q3 Arena play on windows

Postby hika » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:10 am

steel wrote:But no servers show up in the game browser. :|

For my part, when I choose the source "Internet" in multiplayer, servers do not show up.
Perhaps it is because I block every UDP packets out to monster.idsoftware.com :D
So I rely on favorites.
When adding server in favorites, by inputing a name and an address[:port], nothing appears.
I have to switch from favorites to another source like local, and then switch to favorites.

This is only the case when playing on FreeBSD.
On Windows, it appears with no info (no sv_hostname and no g_motd), until I refresh the list. (I guess somebody can confirm)

BTW, you can check the servers list at http://www.bootblock.de/wq3/
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby steel » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:16 pm

Brilliant, thanks! :)

I put each server into favorites one at a time, then rotated through - local, internet, mplayer, and back to favorites -- and then the servers would show in favorites.

Okay, I put in every server on the server's list, and tried playing on each one. Here are my results:

Somewhere in the West - no problems
Lyon, Far East of France - no problems
Tombstone - no problems
Rawhide - no problems
Wasteland (at :27960) - no problems
Wasteland (at :27961) - no problems
Wasteland (at :27962) - couldn't get in, said server full, but it just had 4 bots in it.
http://www.wiernerfunclan.net WesternQ - couldn't get in, said I didn't have the map, can't find the map here (the map name was something fort)
Screechin' Varmit's Roundup - couldn't get in, was password protected

I've noticed that the servers come and go, online/offline, then back online again. Maybe it's a ping-thing?

Does that help?

steel
steel
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:24 pm

steel wrote:www.wiernerfunclan.net WesternQ - couldn't get in, said I didn't have the map, can't find the map here (the map name was something fort)

Maybe it's Fort-West? A map that was designed for WQ3 version 1.2 or earlier. Isn't worth playing on 2.0 or above imo. Last time I checked, the weiners are behind the times...and not friendly to players who can beat them.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:01 am

steel wrote:Wasteland (at :27962) - couldn't get in, said server full, but it just had 4 bots in it.

This is cause it is a test server that allows only private clients, but accepts bots.
hika
SG Team

Postby steel » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:22 am

If there's anything else I can do to help out, just let me know, even if it's something mundane or drudge work.

I've never done mapping or anything, but I have unpaked COD pk3 custom maps and mods to fix things, so they would run right on my server. Dunno if that would be of any help to you at all.

Just let me know,
steel
steel
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:40 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:
steel wrote:www.wiernerfunclan.net WesternQ - couldn't get in, said I didn't have the map, can't find the map here (the map name was something fort)

Maybe it's Fort-West? A map that was designed for WQ3 version 1.2 or earlier. Isn't worth playing on 2.0 or above imo. Last time I checked, the weiners are behind the times...and not friendly to players who can beat them.

may be it was wq_nightfort or wq_fort. try turning cl_allowdownload off. ive had problems with autodownloading. wq3 tries to download maps that it already has.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:33 pm

To return to your original question:

Also, double check it you have "Source: Internet" and "Show Empty servers: Yes"
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby steel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:14 pm

Nothing makes any WQ3 servers show up for me on the setting Internet. I made sure I had it set to show empty, and etc. The only thing that works is the procedure above for entering each server in Favorites and then rotating through Internet, Mplayer, Local, then back to Favorites, and bingo, they show up. (I'm running WindowsXP Pro).

steel

sig11 wrote:To return to your original question:

Also, double check it you have "Source: Internet" and "Show Empty servers: Yes"
steel
Drifter

Postby hika » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:47 pm

I have done some firewall tuning and now i'm pretty sure how the quake 3 engine works, when retrieving servers from "Internet" source :

Check that your firewall is not blocking any UDP packet out to master.quake3arena.com:27950 or monster.idsoftware.com:27950 (192.246.40.56:27950).

Actually, I was blocking all packets out to this address. So servers do not show up.
Now, I block any UDP packets out to this address, except for port 27950, the one that is used for retrieving servers :D, and it works !

The main reason I was blocking this address is to avoid any authorization process when a client is connecting to my home server :D
At this time, I did not know that such a variable like sv_strictAuth exists, so packet filter was my only solution.

Hope that my network quake3 experience will help someone else
hika
SG Team

Return to General Discussion

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel