With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Does vertex graphics mode equal cheating?

Postby DeUgli » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:04 pm

One member mentions playing in vertex mode. It had been my impression from playing other games over the years that playing vertex mode was considered cheating by some. Not that I'm accusing anyone of cheating; I just want to know how people feel about that. If running vertex is cool, I'll certainly play that way, because it is a HUGE advantage on a map like Night Fort.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:05 pm

If a feature is available in the game, there is no argument. It'd be like saying using the sawed-off on train is cheating if everone else prefers to use pistols. Having said that, playing in vertex mode is a big advantage. I prefer to play in lightmap because the game is much prettier and less straining to my eyes. Plus, I play for fun. Yeah, I like to win... who doesn't. But winning isn't everything for me when it comes to visual quality in WQ3.

Just my 2 cents.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:12 pm

Well, at some point I was claiming I played with vortex mode - just for the record: after all I didn't ;-) ... I only did it for testing and for some reason thought it was my default setting, until I found wq_dry way too bright ...

In gerneral ... hmmmm :? ... I think Light Map is much nicer ... but that doesn't really answer the point ;-) ... also it doesn't help that none of the servers are running Punkbuster ... (which won't be possible with a standalone version anyways).
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:57 pm

I know wihich one you mean, deugli....but i wouldn't say it's cheating because everyone is able to play vertex, although i think it is a bit unfair to play aginst someone who uses vertex, while you are playing lightmap........

By the way: I never play vertex mode, because the game looks very bad (nearly like duke3d :-) ) and the atmosphere is lacking.
In lightmap the game is much prettier and like red neckerson i play for fun and i like to win (who does not??!?!?!)
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:19 pm

If it's me you're talking about, I don't play with vertex at the moment. But I might go back to doing it again, if performance is too bad. I have a slow pc, and only get 30-50 fps. Haven't quite decided yet, but the maps sure look better with proper shadows. :cool:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:49 pm

Yeah you're damn right. It was you i ment...

But if someone has an old pc like you, i said nothing...although i also have an old PC with only 800Mhz and my FPS is only 20-60 at a resolution of 1024x768, but i think this is enough (generally it's flowingly) for playing wq3 :-)
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Postby DeUgli » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:59 am

This thread has generated a lot of interesting discussion. Thanks to everyone who posted.

I was interested in finding out about vertex because I was wondering what factors led to my usually being the worst fragger on RAWHIDE. I suspected it was because I'm just not very good, but since I was playing on an old machine, I thought that was also a factor.

Since starting this thread, I bought a better (though not top of the line, that's far too expensive) machine. My theory was confirmed. A fast machine (or vertex mode, ping, etc) helps, but skill matters more.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby torhu » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:34 am

Low ping and smooth fps are both factors that make it easier to aim. It's a lot easier to get headshots with 70 ping than 150.

Remember that moving makes the spread worse, while crouching makes it better (this is not vanilla q3). Moving while crouching is about as good as standing still upright. Don't fire while in the air, wait until you've landed, except maybe for shotguns. Spectate players that kick your ass to see what they do (no, they're probably not cheating).

Boiler plates are good (but don't protect you against knives or Sharps), ammo belt is a cheap way to get lots of ammo. Move around the map to get more frags, listen to money pickups etc. to know where people are. Try to circle in on people when you're low on ammo, pull out your knife when you're close enough and they can't get away. Bind crouch, knife and reload to keys you can use without letting go of movement keys. Blah blah blah etc. :mrgreen:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Breli » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:23 am

Concerning walking and running: I just saw that they are treated the same in terms of spread adjustment here 8O

Uhhhmm! As a player who likes walking around in WQ I wish that would be changed and adjusted to something more realistic .... probably something like this: running and strafing, spread adjustment factor 1.6, walking 1.2. Or keep running and adjust only walking or something.

Hey! Have you ever seen you favourite Spaghetti Western hero running around in circles like a mad chicken (like in WQ)?

:mrgreen:
Breli
SG Team

Return to General Discussion

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel